Industrial relations


The introduction of the Fair Work Act brought in a new set of terms and conditions for workplaces, with minimum conditions enshrined in legislation, and the Modern Awards creating difficulties in new penalty rates and transitional provisions.


  • What’s the difference between a permanent employee, a casual employee or an independent contractor?
  • How do I work out which Modern Award and how do I know which pay they should be on?
  • When is somebody entitled to sick leave, annual leave or long service leave?
  • What are the rights and responsibilities for parental leave?
  • What do you do if you get a back pay claim?
  • Will my contract stand up in court?
  • Can my employees go on strike?
  • Can I make people work on public holidays? And do I have to pay extra?
  • Does the Union have the right to come into my workplace?
  • Do I have to have an EBA?
  • Not knowing the answers to these questions can create costly back pay claims, breach of contract or even equal opportunity claims.

    Get professional help in deciding which employment type (permanent, casual, part-time, temporary) suits your business before you hire, or discuss when your casual employees may become entitled to parental leave or long service leave.

    Explore flexible work options for employees returning back to work after parental leave that can fit in with your business, and find out what other leave entitlements can be used.

    Get a report on which Modern Award(s) apply to your company, how your employees are classified under them, how the Transitional Provisions will need to be phased in, relevant penalty rates for overtime, shiftwork and public holidays and what Union(s) may be entitled to have Right of Entry into your workplace.

    We can liase with Fair Work Australia in the event of a back pay claim to help determine the validity of a claim and any monies owing.
    Assistance with drafting, lodging, negotiating, renewing or extending Enterprise Bargaining Agreements can help to avoid strikes, or other industrial action that may be approved by Fair Work Australia.

    Tip: Long Service Leave is usually covered by State legislation. Most Victorian employees are eligible to be paid out their accrued Long Service Leave upon leaving the company after a minimum 7 years service. There can be exceptions depending upon the industry, Award or EBA.